Requesting Access to Data
For Data Access Request (DAR) enabled customers, a dataset can be requested in a number of ways via the user interface (or via the API).
Before you make a request
Only users with the Data Steward role (or via a custom role with appropriate permissions) can request access to datasets and will be presented with a dialog hosting a data access request form.
You must have a destination workspace for the data - the request cannot be submitted without this. If you don’t have a workspace, please request one through your system administrator.
Currently a request can only include one dataset at a time. A single request encompassing multiple datasets will be supported in a future release.
Starting a request
- From the ‘Access’ dropdown menu and ‘New request’.
- When within the dataset’s entry by selection the ‘Request’ button.
This will bring up a pop up dialogue with a multi-stage form. Stages are indicated by the tabs on the right:
The form typically includes four stages that need to be filled in, though data owners may vary the details of form as they require:
- Project: information related to your project such as name, description and end date as well as the purpose of the request and the rationale.
- Destination: you may specify the specific tables in the dataset to transfer. By default is to transfer all tables. You can also specify the destination workspace from a list. This is populated from your current workspaces. In some cases, it may also be possible to request data “as is”, or pseudonymised.
- About: your name for the request as well as information about you the requestor such as name, position, address and telephone number. This information is typically used by the dataset’s owner to contact you and verify you are an accredited individual.
- Acceptance: acceptance of any dataset-specific terms and conditions and/or confirmation that the information provided is accurate.
Upon completing the form and clicking ‘Submit’, a message signifying the request has been successfully submitted is displayed. The request is sent to the dataset owner (i.e. the creator of the dataset) who will review the request.
The request can be viewed my navigating to ‘My requests’ in the ‘Access dropdown’. See the ‘Viewing a Data Access Request’ for more information.